Meskel is one of the most important ecclesiastical holidays in the Ethiopian Orthodox calendar. It is also known as The Finding of the…
- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
Meskel is one of the most important ecclesiastical holidays in the Ethiopian Orthodox calendar. It is also known as The Finding of the True Cross. In the 4th century Roman Empress Saint Helena (and mother of Constantine the Great) had a dream to light a bonfire; this is celebrated on Meskel eve known as Demera when bonfires are lit at dusk colorfully adorned with seasonal yellow “Meskel” flowers around which there is dancing and singing.
In all parts of the county however, Meskel Day itself is observed with great celebration and festivity with friends and family and using ashes from the Demera fire, many Orthodox Christians will use the ash to mark their foreheads with the sign of the cross.
Day 1 (Sep. 26)
– Arrive, transfer to your hotel, refresh for a while and experience the city tour of Addis Ababa including the National Museum and The Trinity Cathedral. And late in the afternoon attend the colorful celebration of the holiday. Enjoy cultural farewell dinner at a traditional restaurant with local folkloric dances. Finally transferred to the airport for departure.
Meal plans: breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Meal: breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Attending 1 day Meskel Celebration in Addis Ababa.
- Half-day Addis Ababa city tour.
- English speaking guide service.
- All ground transportation
- Transfer from/to airport.